[Nature Recordists] Flailing around

Subject: [Nature Recordists] Flailing around
From: Scott S. <>
Date: Saturday, August 14, 2010, 12:08 PM

=C2=A0

      I'm not trying to make money with a sound recorder!

Maybe I'm in the wrong forum.  I am not a 'sound snob'.

I want to do the best job I can, while being reasonable.  I can't spend $2,=
000 on a sound recorder.  It's just not worth it.

I am looking for a good sound recorder to record for a sound track.  I have=
 a pocket Olympus that I've inadvertently recorded noisy scrub jays.  That =
sounds pretty good to me.

I have to keep the costs down.  The Zoom h4n seems very popular.  And becau=
se it's popular, I could sell it used if for some unknown reason I want to =
become a sound man.

I have $2000 tied up in my camera and lenses.  I'm going to make a paraboli=
c recorder myself.  I think I can get it done for $200 or so.

I also have other needs.  I have medical bills, a mortgage, food, utilities=
, and a variety of other things I have to pay for.

Not all people interested in recording sound are millionaires.