[Nature Recordists] hard drive capacity, memory, & processing spee=

Subject: [Nature Recordists] hard drive capacity, memory, & processing spee=
From: <>
d needs...
Date: Wednesday, August 11, 2010, 5:42 PM

=C2=A0

      Approaching year two of my PhD program and the beginning of data

collection.  For all this will entail, especially with storing and

analyzing audio files, my 17GB hard drive isn't going to cut it.  iMac

here I come (I think) but how much to invest in each of those three -

hard drive capacity, memory, & processing speed needs...

Anywhere from 500GB to 2TB drive

either 4 or 8 GB RAM

either 3.06, 3.2, or 3.6GHz

Advice from those who've been working with audio files and analysis

software on top of other analysis and data management/presentation

needs is greatly appreciated.  "What you can afford" doesn't help

given that I didn't find work this summer and it's all coming out of

that inherited 'emergency' fund...

Bioacoustician wannabe,

Jodi