Re: New Recording on the Blog: Roof Drone

Subject: Re: New Recording on the Blog: Roof Drone
From: "Michael Raphael"
Date: Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:57 am ((PDT))
Actually just to be clear myself.  I didn't say it was crap tech talk.  I s=
aid at least I was posting a recording instead of talking about the latest =
consumer crap recorder, and I then stated that I didn't mind the tech talk.=
  I find it useful and I participate in it occasionally.  I do apologize if=
 I reacted strongly as well, but I was just trying to make a point.  I regu=
larly post recordings here and truly enjoy it when others do as well.

On Aug 10, 2010, at 5:43 AM, hartogj wrote:

> Hi John,
>
> I never said that Michael's recording was not relevant to this group. Mic=
hael presented his recording to the group not as a nature sound recording b=
ut as a recording of a barn roof. Chris posed his (now retracted) perspecti=
ve that it was not a nature sound recording. Michael dismissed Chris by say=
ing that at least his recording is better than all the tech "crap" talk. My=
 statement that it is not a nature sound recording, along with all I am wri=
ting now, might as well be retracted too, because this is all too knit-pick=
y to put any more thought into.

> John Hartog
>
> --- In  "jtudor2005" <> wrote:
> >

> > --- In  "hartogj" <hartogj_1999@> wrot=
e:

> > > Hi Michael,
> > > A recording of metal roof is a stretch for a nature recording.
> > >
> > > John Hartog
> > >

> > Isn't this why the other 'Nature Recording' forum was started. To allow=
 this one to spread it's net a little wider.

> > Remember all the curfuffle about a splinter group only wanting to talk =
'Pure' nature recording, rather than the other things that this group talke=
d about.

> > And to jog the memory, here is the description of what THIS group is ab=
out.

> > 'This moderated group is interested in techniques, issues and general d=
iscussion of recording natural sounds. Topics include, but aren't limited t=
o recording techniques and equipment, recording venues and discussions of v=
arious animal vocalizations and communication. Other natural sounds, such a=
s water, weather and wind-generated sounds are valid topics.'

> > In that context, I think ambient sounds (including rain on a roof) have=
 a relevant place in THIS particular group. And I'm not sure how you could =
really disagree with that.