Re: Cable for long PIP runs?

Subject: Re: Cable for long PIP runs?
From: "Dan Dugan" dandugan_1999
Date: Fri Aug 6, 2010 3:18 pm ((PDT))
>  I am looking for a good U.S. sources for a light, thin, flexible cable
> stock that would be good for a long (50' - 100') run from either an
> Olympus LS-10 or a Marantz PMD-620 to a pair of unbalanced PIP
> microphones.  I'd like to carry two 50' cables on an impending multi-day=

> backpacking trip.
>
> I bought a 50' headphone extension cable, which I suspect is unshielded,=

> and tried to use it last weekend.  I picked-up FAA radio communications
> and some other digital noise at various times, just above the
> noise-floor of the recording.  So I need a better cable.

I have 50' and 100' shielded "headphone" extension cables with 3.5mm connec=
tors on both ends that I use for exactly that job. The Telingas at Milk lak=
e were on the long one.

Theoretically you're losing some top end with a 2K-3K ohm source on such a =
long cable, I've never measured it. In practice they sound good.

I got them from a video supply house, like Markertek. I recall the connecto=
r on one end was so cheap it failed the first time out. I replaced it with =
a better one. I stock the Switchcraft pro 3.5mm gold male connectors (strai=
ght & 90), but to my knowledge nobody make a pro cable female 3.5mm stereo =
connector yet.

-Dan