1. Re: plug-in power mic

Subject: 1. Re: plug-in power mic
From: "umashankar" umashanks
Date: Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:24 am ((PDT))
dear greg, klas and others

i had not been able to reply (my wife died, quiet suddenly) but i am
getting=C2=A0back to life and over some time will try and describe my 20+=
=C2=A0years of
making array mikes. some of it can be only descriptive as i=C2=A0do not hav=
e the
microphones. i am in the process of setting up a simple=C2=A0measurement sy=
stem so in
future i should have good figures for noise as well as directional properti=
es. i
should also have some=C2=A0recordings i made in 1990 - a stereo pair=C2=A0o=
f 5 capsule
arrays, feeding into a defective TCD5m.

I had initially built a pair using 6 mm sony capsules mounted=C2=A0flush on=
 5 inch
acrylic plates. among other things i recorded a week long=C2=A0ethnomusicol=
ogy
conference in 1983 with the two microphones on either=C2=A0end of a long ta=
ble
around=C2=A0which all the=C2=A0conferees sat. any other recording technique=
 would have
been extremely boomy!

my five capsule=C2=A0plates were a direct follow on that. i decided on an i=
rregular
cross so any comb filtering will be spread out. it goes like this. ca[sule =
a is
at centre. b is to the right about 1/2 inch away. c is at top 1 inch away. =
d is
at left 1 1/2 inches away and e is=C2=A0at bottom, 2 inches away. all these=
 on a
plate about 5 inches across. i was only looking for some gain with reduced=

noise, and was surprised by how directional it was. it could even be used
indoors without the problems shotguns have.

nowadays i am using panasonic s mm capsules on a circular plate which screw=
into a barrel containing more or less straightforward schoeps style circuit=
.

i have found a chinese source for capsules and have ordered some large diam=
eter
omnis 14 mm and 16 mm. i will see how the 14 mm capsules in particular
will=C2=A0behave.

umashankar
=C2=A0i have published my poems. you can read (or buy) at
http://stores.lulu.com/umashankar