Re: [Nature Recordists] Infrasound microphone

Subject: Re: [Nature Recordists] Infrasound microphone
From: James Shatto <>
=C2=A0
It's not just the microphone.=C2=A0 The preamp (gain circuitry) will likely=
 brickwall
at certain frequencies.

http://www.sounddevices.com/products/specs/mm1-spec.htm

I have some MM-1's that I use.=C2=A0 The specs say 20Hz - 20kHz, but I reme=
mber
reading somewhere that it does go down to 10Hz, but not much if any below t=
hat.=C2=A0
These share a similar circuitry to the all the other sound devices recorder=
(and their respective preamps).=C2=A0 Basically even if your mic goes down =
under, you
might be limited by the other parts of the chain.

And then there's the Bass distance fall off that occurs faster than other
frequencies with distance.=C2=A0 Which is more evident in Omni microphones.=
=C2=A0
Directional mics are a little less noticeable for that, but directional mic=
s can
be a real pain to use outdoors.=C2=A0 At least when conditions are not just=
 right.=C2=A0
And they never are.=C2=A0 Plus a lot of mics intentionally subdue the low e=
nd because
it's generally problematic.=C2=A0 Handling noise, wind noise, electrical hu=
m, and
other nasties.=C2=A0 There are some good mics with good low end, but be pre=
pared to
baby them to 9th degree to use them in anything other than a studio setting=
.

- James