Re: SD cards how much will they hold

Subject: Re: SD cards how much will they hold
From: "James Shatto" wwwshadow7
Date: Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:54 pm ((PDT))
Bear in mind that some recorders have session limits.=C2=A0 Check the manua=
l.=C2=A0 My Korg MR-1000 will only do 6 consecutive hours.=C2=A0 It suppose=
dly gets quite quirky if you record to that limit.=C2=A0 I don't know if th=
e zoom has such a limit.=C2=A0 But it might since Fat32 can only hold 4GB i=
ndividual files.=C2=A0 Just something to think about.=C2=A0 My korg=C2=A0 b=
reaks files at 1GB, but still sessions out at 6 hours.=C2=A0 Not that I tru=
st it to last that long on batteries only.=C2=A0 Even with external preamps=
 sharing the burden.

CD quality is basically 1GB per hour with a surplus.=C2=A0 CDRs being 700MB=
 and 80 minutes (or was it 74?).=C2=A0 And is that actual computer MB or ma=
rketing MB?=C2=A0 In rough math, and extra hour (disc) for every three hour=
s.=C2=A0 So 21 hours minimum for a 16GB card (16 + 5).=C2=A0 Assuming that =
the card was blank when you started.=C2=A0 And that the filesystem uses spa=
ce semi-efficiently.=C2=A0 Not that you normally want to record files of th=
at girth, but if you're curious if you snore or not?=C2=A0 In less rough ma=
th, (((16000 / 700) * 80 ) / 60 ) =3D=3D's 30.4762 -ish hours.=C2=A0 Or 28.=
2-ish hours at 74 minutes.=C2=A0 Since meta data and filesystem occupy some=
 of that space, a safer bet IMO.

And yes I have recorded for those types of lengths.=C2=A0 Mainly if I have =
some long download going on the laptop and at a hotel.=C2=A0 I'll plug a ch=
eap stealth mic in and let it run while I'm away.=C2=A0 Let's me know, IF s=
omeone came into the room, how long they stayed, what they talked about wit=
h their buddies, and other just in case stuff.=C2=A0 Of course if there was=
 a security issue I wouldn't have that content to check in all likelyhood.=
=C2=A0 But I've stayed in rooms where the door didn't securely latch behind=
 you, and even though you locked the door when you left, the staff might no=
t be as attentive.=C2=A0 Not that I keep any of that content, but it can pr=
ove educational.

- James