Re: Frogs above and below water.

Subject: Re: Frogs above and below water.
From: "Mitch Hill" wa1ykn
Date: Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:53 am ((PDT))
At 07:30 PM 7/17/2010 +0300, you wrote:

>also, I might be wrong in this, but I have a feeling that the speed of
>sound in the water depends on how salty the water is - anybody knows ?

Yes, you are correct...  What I stated was a rough "rule of thumb".  You
can make this as complicated or simple as you want or need.  Salinity and
temperature of the water also has an effect.

Wikipedia has a good section on speed of sound that includes air and water=

as well as other mediums. In water, they have formulas to include effects
of salinity and temperature if you wish to investigate it that far...  As
to fixing hydrophones in place in water, its not hard, a three point
anchoring system, i.e.three cement blocks and some sort of flotation device=

to tension the hydrophone against the anchor lines, a block of styrofoam or=

a milk jug works great...

--

Thanks,
Mitch & Shadow...