Re: Your opinion, please...

Subject: Re: Your opinion, please...
From: "Mitch Hill" wa1ykn
Date: Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:52 pm ((PDT))
Hi Rob,

Thank you for the reply...

I was not aware of that particular chart and found it most interesting.  As=

it works out, the three different microphones I have available all fall in=

the middle of that chart providing I am reading it correctly.

Case in point, Sennheiser ME66/K6 super cardiode on phantom power has a
self noise of 10dBA and 50mv/pa gain which is what I'm using presently with=

the Olympus LS-11 recorder.

I have a set of Sennheiser ME64/K6 or will have when the replacement for
the second mic arrives.  These have a selfnoise of 16dBA and gain of 31mv/p=
a.

I also have a matched set of R0DE NT5 which is also 16dBA self noise but at=

lower gain of 12mv/Pa (-38dBu if my memory is correct) however I have yet
to try these as I'm lacking in Phantom power for them.

At this point, the Sennheisers are capable of operating with the LS-11
recorder with its 3.5mm TRS mic input jack in the unbalanced mode using the=

AA battery option of the Sennheiser K6 power module. Actually, for where
I'm located for local bird and frog sound recording, the biggest issue is
ambient and environmental noise not noise of the mic and recorder noise
with these  mics.  However I know they (Sennheiser K6 Series) are a lot
quieter on phantom power and may end up going the Rolls battery box
solution for the LS-11 however, at the moment as long as I'm in SE MA,
there is no need for it... .

My long term goal is to have a system with long range weak signal
capability for use with shore birds and raptors where getting close is not=

an option. This type of operation will be done in wide open spaces, most
likely Vermont, Maine and Florida with hopefully a few forays into South
West Texas where I spent some time in my younger years...

And I'm optimistic that before long I'll be shed of the cloak of humanity
noise that exists in overdeveloped Eastern Massachusetts as now that I'm
retired, plans are to move to South West Florida.  Part of the logic in
that is that my brother lives there and he's more of a nature nut than I
am...  Double trouble on the loose again!

As I see it, if I read the charts correctly, The three recorders I have
mentioned seem to fit my needs with the exception of the Zoom Hn4. Mainly
as I do not trust the manufacturers specifications nor can I find any other=

source of actual test results for it.

I'm primarily focused on the Marantz PMD661 and by Thursday midday, I hope=

to have made a decision and placed the order...

What I'm hoping is that between now and then, if anyone out there knows of=

a good reason or knows of a fault with any of these recorders, I'd sure
appreciate it if they'd speak up...

--

Thanks,
Mitch & Shadow...