Re: The Muriemike story....

Subject: Re: The Muriemike story....
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_audio
Date: Tue Jul 6, 2010 7:05 am ((PDT))
Hi Klas--
With the fake fur on rigs I have set-out permanently in the woods in Wiscon=
sin, the flies and mosquitoes "visit" them less and less over time. I'd hav=
e to examine recordings to provide a better estimate but I'd guess within 2=
 months, the attraction reaches near minimum. Animals are keen to explore a=
nything "new."

Maybe it wouldn't hurt to hand-wash the material in warm water (no scented =
soap) several times and hang it outside in the wind and light for as long a=
s is practical before using it? One could do the same with the other materi=
als used to make the mics.

If you feel the shape of the fur itself is attracting them, there are some =
approx 6mm thick synthetic "fleece" fabrics that also work quite well that =
you might want to experiment with. Less transparent but not too bad.

Of course, DEET insect repellents "melt" plastics and synthetic fabrics inc=
luding fake fur, so I'd be very cautious of this approach. Rob D.