Recording of specific sounds, IE bird songs or animal voices, etc.

Subject: Recording of specific sounds, IE bird songs or animal voices, etc.
From: "mntncougar" mntncougar
Date: Sun Jul 4, 2010 12:37 pm ((PDT))
I bought a Sony PCM-M10 and am very happy with it.  One of the primary purp=
oses I bought it for is to make an audio record of bird/animal sounds I hea=
r, either for ID help or just as a record of the event.  To date I have rec=
orded without too much regard for the conditions I am working with, and, as=
 you might expect, I have gotten decent record files, but for the most part=
 very noisy ones.  I have only the built-in mics, and currently the wind sc=
reen sold for the recorder seems to be unavailable.
My question is, does the use of either a shotgun or parabolic mic or combo =
of the 2 make a difference to the ambient noise level recorded?  If so, wha=
t factors would dictate the choice of one over the other?  I should mention=
 that I have very serious high frequency hearing loss, and must wear a spec=
ial aid to hear bird songs.  It converts the high sounds into a lower range=
 that I can hear.  Because of that, I cannot wear earphones to hear the act=
ual sound being picked up by the recorder. The 'phones I wear are fairly di=
rectional, but I am not sure they would be good enough to point a shotgun m=
ic accurately.
As a follow-up to the above, I'd like some recommendations for moderately p=
riced mics that would work with my recorder (I don't want to spend 5 times =
the cost of the recorder on a microphone, unless absolutely necessary). =

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Don Morgan