2. Re: Archiving

Subject: 2. Re: Archiving
From: "Flawn Williams" flawn1951
Date: Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:36 am ((PDT))
When SanDisk quotes their mean time between failures (MTBF), I would
presume they're talking about failures that happen while the card is
actively powered up. I'm not sure that figure would have anything to
do with how long an SDHC or SDXC card will retain data while in an
unpowered state. That latter issue is more relevant to the suitability
of SD cards for long term archiving.

Most SDHC cards are rated to retain their data for ten years "under
normal use", but it's not specified whether 'normal use" is in a
powered or unpowered state.

--Flawn