2. Re: Looking for a sound recorder on a tight budget

Subject: 2. Re: Looking for a sound recorder on a tight budget
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_audio
Date: Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:25 am ((PDT))
At 6:34 AM -0700 6/24/10, Patrick Cooper wrote:

>I believe Sony currently produce one Mini Disc model but I wouldn't
>be buying such a device brand new. There's something that I should
>have mentioned in my introductory post. Money is tight so I'm on a
>very small budget. I'd be willing to spend up to $120 on the
>recorder although I may be tempted to spend a little more if I'm
>tempted by someone's particular recommendation.

Hi Patrick.--
Thanks for creating the new subject line. There are quite a few
available on eBay for under $100, used. New, the cheapest model was
about $160USD. All of the lower cost models appear to be sold-out,
world wide. More inserts below.

>I have read on the Wildlife Sound Recording Society's website that
>Mini Disc recorders are a good option for nature sound recordists on
>a small budget. Though they do have some inconviences that one has
>to put up with!

One must use Sony's data transfer application, SonicStage which is
more involved and subject to lost recordings. You have to adopt some
very specific habits and use them regularly.  The software is PC only
except for the last few HiMD models they produced.

>I would be particularly interested in the Hi-MD models as they
>record audio that is uncompressed. According to the WSRS, some
>models have very low noise mic preamps though they don't specify
>many models that have such a technical refinement. Can anyone here
>list some particular Mini Disc models that have good mic preamps?

All of the Hi-MD models have the same low-noise/high gain mic pre-amp
than can be crucial for applications where recordists must use very
low noise mics. Your needs may not match these or mics you will ever
use. That remains to be explored.

Here's some more on the plusses of these recorders:
http://tinyurl.com/yyzrnfa They we're quite popular. I taught 100+
people to use them every semester so I know their plusses and minuses
pretty well.

>  Of course some models don't have manual recording levels or mic
>inputs so that would also be something to look at.

Most  do. With the first models, it required quite a few steps to get
into manual mode. And they didn't retain the manual setting upon
re-powering. The last 2-3 Hi-MD models had major upgrades but still
require SonicStage.

re:
>  I'll leave the discussion of microphones to another post.

Mics are the hearts of all recording systems, even inexpensive ones.
Researching microphone options is the best place to start. Buying the
recorder first, its a bit like buying a paint brush before you know
how large your canvass will be, what colors you are going to be able
to afford and what you are painting. There are many folks on this
list who use lower cost mics and recorders and get very good species
recordings. One they know what your budget is, they can help you
research today's options and come up with the best investment(s) you
can make. People pride themselves in getting high quality with modest
gear. Rob D.