5. Re: New to the group

Subject: 5. Re: New to the group
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_audio
Date: Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:42 am ((PDT))
At 1:59 AM -0700 6/22/10, Patrick Cooper wrote:

>Hello there! As you see, I'm new to the group
>and also new to 'serious' sound recording. I
>admit that I know next to nothing about audio
>but am keen to learn. Thinking about getting a
>Mini Disc recorder and external microphone.
>
>My background is photography as I have always
>been a visual person. I'm currently living on
>Kangaroo Island in South Australia and am
>surrounded by wildlife, great subjects for
>photography. Now, I would like to make some
>sound recordings of these animals (mainly the
>birds) and with hopefully better audio quality
>than what i get with the onboard microphone of
>my video camera!=A0
>
>There is this particular bird around here that
>makes quite an amazing call. It sort of sounds
>like a combination of a chain and a rattle. It's
>quite elaborate. I haven't heard it in a while.

Hi Patrick-
Congrats on your living arrangements and welcome
to the list.  Can you give us an idea of your
budget for both recorder and mics? Do you own
some fairly good. enclosed type headphones?

Many recordists on the List do just what you
describe. I've started some headings/questions in
our FAQ (below) that someone might want to take a
stab at answering for Patrick? (It can be edited
and refined until you are happy with it!)

This might work after logging in to the yahoo
groupsK FAQ editing direct link:
http://tinyurl.com/2eebbze

Heading: Inexpensive External Mic Upgrading
"I want make some sound recordings mainly of
birds and improve the quality I'm getting from
the onboard mics in my video camera . My total
budget for mics and recorder is _______."

Heading: Inexpensive Sound Recorder Upgrades
"I'm thinking about getting a Mini Disc recorder
mainly for birds. My total mic and recorder
budget is________."

If you can get access, answer in a regular post
and one of us can move it over. Rob D.