Re: Review of 2010 Midwest Nature Recordists Campout

Subject: Re: Review of 2010 Midwest Nature Recordists Campout
From: "Curt Olson" flipov411
Date: Thu Jun 3, 2010 5:45 am ((PDT))
I wrote:

>> As promised, here's a followup report on the 2010 Midwest Nature
>> Recordists Campout at Crex Meadows. A short written review with
>> photos, sound clips, web links and more...
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/2c8yg98

Paul Jacobson responded:

> Thanks for the great write up. It looks like it was a fantastic
> weekend and very refreshing to see a bunch of talented recordists
> sharing developing and ideas. Very inspirational.

Mike Rooke responded:

> The report is excellent to see and hear, most educational.
>
> I like "Look for the place where the roads stop" so true.
>
> Regarding the bugs and ticks, are bug/mosquito jackets with pants &
> head gear practical in the field?

Thank you guys,

I think we all came away with valuable new insights. And more
importantly, new and deepened friendships.

Mike... good question about bug gear. Thankfully the ticks, flies and
mosquitos were not yet in full bloom the weekend of the nature
recordists campout. They are now.

I don't have any specific bug gear myself, and I despise DEET. My
current solution is to stay out of the thickest woods during the
height of tick/mosquito/gnat season. If a summer recording trip to the
Arctic ever presented itself, I'd have to quickly make friends with
mosquito netting and some of the non-DEET repellants.

I'm sure others here have better answers.

Curt Olson