11. Re: SPL meter and GPS on iPhone ?

Subject: 11. Re: SPL meter and GPS on iPhone ?
From: "Mike Rooke" picnet2
Date: Thu May 20, 2010 10:33 pm ((PDT))

--- In  Dan Dugan <> wrote:

> >            Nice you mention this, I have recently been testing a couple=
 of applications with my low noise omni mic, my opinion is the fabber appli=
cation / Signal scope pro is the best all round and polished yet due to the=
 lack of compensation doesnt seem that accurate compared to holding it side=
 by side with a real spl meter, I could be very wrong here also, but my exp=
erience comparing it to the Studio Six SPL Pro application next to my Type =
2 meter gave very similar measurements that were within .5 dB of each other=
.

> The Faber apps can be calibrated; what do you mean by "compensation," fre=
quency response correction?

For the high pass filter yes,

Studio six compensate for the low frequency roll off, which I interpret as =
correcting / making the headphone input flat. Ive used both fabber signal s=
cope pro and calibrated it, plus the studio six digital spl tools and calib=
rated those. I actually prefer signal scope pro but for some reason the stu=
dio six pro spl tool seems to be more accurate, I suspect its due to the in=
put compensation.

"Any mic that plugs into the headset jack will be subject to the very steep=
 (6dB / octave, more for iPhone 3Gs) highpass filter, and so it should be u=
sed on the "Internal" setting with our apps."

Theres also a specific option in the setup to turn the compensation on or o=
ff.

BR
Mike.