8. Re: Choosing the right sampling rate and sample size

Subject: 8. Re: Choosing the right sampling rate and sample size
From: "Paul Jacobson" thebrunswicktwitcher
Date: Tue May 18, 2010 9:15 pm ((PDT))
On 19/05/2010, at 1:15 PM, Dan Dugan wrote:

> Even with a noisy recorder, a 24-bit master has more room for processing =
later, no harm in turning it up in post.

There is definitely advantage to post-processing in 24bit, but not always a=
n advantage to capturing in 24bit. It's easy enough to change a file 16bit =
-> 24bit in most editors and get the same advantages.

I agree its a dirty secret - even the SD recorders are effectively 18bit or=
 19bit if you prefer a-weighted noise levels.  Even so an additional 12-18d=
B headroom is very worthwhile, and a nice safeguard against an overflying C=
ockatoo.

I personally record at both 24/48 and 24/88.1  and find there is always a n=
oticeable loss of depth and detail when resampling and reducing bit rate fr=
om  24/88.2 to 16/44.1  I'm not sure if this is down to Wave Editors Izotop=
e SRC and dither or simply a attribute of 16/44.1 recordings. As an aside, =
I have an acquaintance who is a very well respected conductor. He has done =
extensive listening tests at various sample rates and bit depths using his =
own recording sessions and he swears that 24/192 comes closest to what he i=
s hearing when he conducts the original session.  None of this constitutes =
a scientific proof that high sample rates give better sound quality, so for=
 now I'll trust my ears.

cheers
Paul