Re: Directional recording in stereo

Subject: Re: Directional recording in stereo
From: "Steve Pelikan" pelikan45224
Date: Fri May 14, 2010 4:55 pm ((PDT))
Hi Richard --- Thanks for the link to the recording.

I like it a lot! and would be happy, I suspect, to listen to it in stereo t=
oo. Even more so.

I'm not really clear on what you want to accomplish, though.

To just do a nice stereo (which I'd like tremendously) virtually anything (=
M/S, A/B) would work well, I bet.

To bring out the Siamangs it seems like you'd need to (a) get closer or (b)=
 do something like M/S but with the  mid being more directional like a shor=
t shotgun. The only other alternative that I can think of is to use a parab=
ola (mono or stereo) and mix it with a local stereo recording.

Anyway -- siamangs have always interested me greatly so I envy you your cha=
nces to hear/see them and really appreciate your sharing your recordings of=
 them.

Good luck!

SP

--- In  Richard Folwell <> wrot=
e:

> I think I may know the answer to this one, but am posting it to both
> check I have understood the problem correctly, and to find out if I have
> missed anything.
>
> I have this recording:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/3yg9wqp
>

> which I am fairly happy with[1] for balance between the siamang monkeys s=
everal kilometres away and the nearby cicadas, given the circumstances
> and the available  equipment. However it is a mono recording done with a =
Rode Videomic, and I would have preferred it to have been stereo.

> At the time I chose to use the Videomic because I was aware that the soun=
d of the cicadas was nearby and loud, and was concerned that using
> my basic X/Y microphone would mean that the cicada sound would overwhelm =
that of the siamang.

> I am looking for ideas about how to do this practically, given that being=
 in the location to do the recording did involve some scrambling
> (not serious climbing like with ropes and stuff) to get there in the firs=
t place.

> I think that the answer to this general problem is to add a figure of eig=
ht microphone to the directional one, and then do the mid-side
> encoding/decoding in post-processing. Using a parabolic reflector set up =
for stereo would obviously be another possibility, but might not
> meet my practical requirements - basically kit that can go into a single =
backpack.

> Am also open to "off the wall" ideas. Most of the recording situations on=
 that trip were well addressed by having a decent wide stereo