Re: FR-2LE or PMD671

Subject: Re: FR-2LE or PMD671
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_audio
Date: Fri May 14, 2010 7:28 am ((PDT))
At 12:24 PM +0000 5/14/10, dvd_hoover wrote:
>Fostex FR-2LE: -129dBu/-125dBu 84dB
>Marantz PMD671: -125dBu/-123dBu 75dB
>My question now is how audible will the 2-4 dB of noise be?

Hi Dave--

With full or nearly full gain recordings in quiet settings made with
the PMD 671 and NT1-A's [6dB(A) self-noise], I can detect some input
noise from the 671. I cannot hear input noise from the FR-2LE with
the same mics/conditions. This is consistent with a slight amount of
audible input noise from NT1-A's -> HiMD [-124dBu (A weighted)].  If
you plan to ever use mics with less than 12dB(A) self-noise, the
Fostex is better suited, noise performance-wise.

>How much difference will I hear in the 9dB of dynamic range?

Just a difference in when clipping sets in? Rob D.