FR-2LE or PMD671

Subject: FR-2LE or PMD671
From: "dvd_hoover" dvd_hoover
Date: Fri May 14, 2010 5:25 am ((PDT))
I am reconsidering my choice of either a Fostex FR-2LE or Marantz PMD671.
I had settled on the FR-2LE because of low noise and dynamic range.
Either unit is within my budget.

                     (wtd/unwtd)

Fostex FR-2LE     -129dBu/-125dBu     84dB

Marantz PMD671    -125dBu/-123dBu     75dB

I'm reconsidering because the 671 has spdif in/out which expands my capabil=
ities if I carry my A/D interface.
(I also have a MicroTrak II which I could use as a bitbucket.)
My question now is how audible will the 2-4 dB of noise be?
How much difference will I hear in the 9dB of dynamic range?

I'm trying to create a low to moderate cost all-in-one kit for nature recor=
ding and acoustic recording of classical & jazz.
(not for profit, just my own enjoyment)

So, I'd appreciate comments and opinions from anyone that has used these or=
 switched from one to the other.

Thanks
Dave