Re: Frogs+"tin roof"+approaching storm, Bloomington, IN

Subject: Re: Frogs+"tin roof"+approaching storm, Bloomington, IN
From: "hartogj" hartogj
Date: Thu May 6, 2010 12:07 am ((PDT))
Hi Vlad,

I like the short section between 7:10 and 8:25. The drops on the car mostly=
 stop and things quiet down enough to reveal the frogs and quiet distance w=
ith thunder - and then draping rain.
Thanks for sharing.

John Hartog

--- In  Wolodymyr Smishkewych <wolodymyrsm=
> wrote:
>
> Hi everyone,
> Well, i am hesitatingly putting up my first-ever attempt at nature record=
ing. It ended up as what I thought would turn out to be a total wash: I had=
 scouted out a place just 3-4 mi away from the house, right outside of town=
 in some woods, where I had remembered hearing spring peepers and what soun=
ded like a pickerel frog calling vociferously just a few days ago. And then=
 tonight, right as I am 2 blocks away from the house, a thunderstorm pulls =
into town faster than a traveling circus, complete with extreme weather war=
ning and everything.

> So, when I arrived at the spot, I could indeed hear the frogs calling--bu=
t more than that I could hear the wind & rain. However, not to be deterred,=
 I set up shop--inside the car. THe rain sounded like it was coming down up=
on a tin roof, and there was plenty of wind gusting and rain falling everyw=
here. I was using a rig that involved a foam baffle ball positioned between=
 two opposing mics in some sort of a binaural dummy head configuration (I'l=
l post images soon). The input is from a pair of matched AT4022 omnis and c=
aptured on a Fostex FR2-LE with Oade SuperMod.

> https://www.slashtmp.iu.edu/public/download.php?FILE=3Dwjsmishk/83215lDKa=
6e

> So, I did get plenty of rain--it does sound like you are sitting in my ca=
r, listening out the window--and some thunder as well. It's nice to hear a =
lone pickerel or two seem to come in (I think there's one around 1:40) and =
the occasional creature scampered through the area crunching branches as it=
 went along. Unfortunately, I also picked up at least 6 vehicles on the lon=
e country road (around 12-12:20 about 4 of them in succession). And the occ=
asional operator noise (!), all of which I'd like to edit out. What's inter=
esting to hear are the many crescendi & decrescendi of the rain as it gets =
faster & slower in turn, and as it gets quieter (around 15 is OK) the frogs=
 become more audible--but just a bit too distant...

> Enjoy what you can--I was wondering about the specific ID on these frogs.=
 Am I hearing mostly Western Chorus frogs, singing slowly?

> I do appreciate any criticism, constructive or otherwise :^) Since I am s=
tarting off, I appreciate all the help I can get. Usually I am on the sharp=
 end of the mic, doing the singing! This end of things is quite the learnin=
g experience for me and those of you who do this so artfully have my greate=
st respect & admiration.

> Thanks,
> Vlad
>
> Wolodymyr Smishkewych
> wolodymyrsmishkewych.com

sound is worth a thousand pictures." R. Murray Schafer via Bernie Krause

<*> Your email settings:
    Digest Email  | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: