Re: sonic61

Subject: Re: sonic61
From: "Eric Benjamin" ericbenjamin2
Date: Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:26 pm ((PDT))
Emil,

Your English is just fine.  Far better than my German, I assure you.

Yes, I was referring to a Soundfield microphone.  If one is doing nature re=
cording then there is a distinct advantage to only have to pack a single mi=
crophone.

> those mics have a terrible self noise, and second you just have intensity=
 stereophony and no time of arrival stereophony
I wouldn't have described the Soundfield microphones as having terrible sel=
f noise.  The Soundfield MkV has a specified self noise of 14 dBA (1 dBA be=
tter than the Schoeps Mk4), which is really pretty good for a small diaphra=
gm cardioid.

But the real question is whether you like the results or not.  I'll only po=
int out that the intensity stereo output from a coincident microphone setup=
 translates to time of arrival differences at the ears.  To go on about tha=
t probably will go beyond the technology tolerance of the members of this l=
ist.

Are you considering using the Optimized Cardioid Triangle system of Gunther=
 Theile?

Eric