2. Re: from metadata to archiving (was Some prescient words from Murray

Subject: 2. Re: from metadata to archiving (was Some prescient words from Murray
From: "John Lundsten" lundsten_john
Date: Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:23 pm ((PDT))
Charles Veasey wrote

| That's true Nuendo does a fine job at allowing you to create and search
| metatags. Though I'm not clear on its implementation on the file.
| -charles

as far as Nuendo 2 & 3 go the BWF support is very poor.
Yes it extracts the timestamp  and that is included in the tags stored in
the session NPR file. It has no understanding at all of info a recorder lik=
the SD, Deva etc put in the description field.

A huge limitation is this data is structured as sub fields for things like=

track name, userbits (usually the date goes here), etc but each of these
records uses a CR/LF as a delimiter & Nuendo can't  write these nor does it=

display anything past the 1st CR for files coming from any file based
recorder.
It is however quite suitable for data written as  Soundminer  structures it=
.
John L

| On 4/22/10 3:39 AM, Emanuele wrote:
| >
| > On 21/04/2010 22:50, Charles Veasey wrote:
| > >
| > > Thanks for the iXML link Paul. I looked at Sound Devices
implementation;
| > > it is geared for video/film production. Like you said, much of the
data
| > > that nature recordists would want to record would be crammed into the
| > > notes section. I believe you can edit the metadata using a external
| > > keyboard that hooks up to the recorder, but carrying an extra device
| > > around and editing this way doesn't interest me very much. Last night=

| > > tried SD's free software Wave Agent 1.1. Among other things, it allow=
| > > one to easily edit the metadata from a PC. This is cool, but again
most
| > > relevant information would be in the notes section. I guess this is
| > > really the only option. Even if you completely customized the iXML
tags
| > > to include things like biophony, geophony, etc, which seems very
| > > possible, and made a program to write and read that data, I don't
think
| > > that any other program, such as an audio editor, would be able to rea=
| > > it (unless it was in the notes section :).
| > >
| > > Soundminer looks interesting, but it is also very expensive. Also,
from
| > > looking at the screenshot the metadata options seem to be from pull
down
| > > options, and it is not clear to me what those options are, or if they
| > > are customizable.
| > >
| > > I haven't been able to figure out how to edit metadata on Wave Editor=
.

| > > Sound Forge 10 (my favorite editor) has introduced extensive
Metadating