15. Re: Some prescient words from Murray Schafer

Subject: 15. Re: Some prescient words from Murray Schafer
From: "Paul Jacobson" thebrunswicktwitcher
Date: Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:21 am ((PDT))
On 21/04/2010, at 10:34 AM, Dan Dugan wrote:

> Cameras are leading the way with metadata. A photo file from my Canon Dig=
ital Rebel comes with at least 18 items of metadata embedded--not only date=
 and time, but lens type, exposure values, etc. My iPhone photos come with =
GPS coordinates. Unfortunately, there is less demand (no mass market?) for =
audio recorders including metadata.

Hi Dan,

iXML looks promising in this regard. see: http://www.ixml.info/

The "Notes" keyword allows free form text to be entered and is probably the=
 most useful section for entering information about location, rig, etc. Sou=
nd Devices have support for this in v2.0+ firmware.

Support is becoming increasingly widespread and is slightly more extensive =
than the compatibility list would indicate. For example Soundminer and Wave=
 Editor include iXML metadata editing capabilities and I noticed that the t=
ascam HD-P82, and Sonosax recorders ( SX-R4 and MiniR82 )  include  iXML me=
tadata support. The hardware supporting iXML tends to confirm your observat=
ion that audio metadata is aimed squarely at the pro end of the market, rat=
her than mass market.

The GPS_COORDINATES custom keyword has been registered but unfortunately th=
ere is no indication of which developer intends to implement this.

cheers
Paul