Re: Sony PCM-M10 PIP Power Measurements

Subject: Re: Sony PCM-M10 PIP Power Measurements
From: "Jeremiah Moore" jeremiahmoore99
Date: Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:21 am ((PDT))
I also have a pair of Sanken COS-11 lavaliers wired to mini which I could
use as a load, if that would prove useful.

-jeremiah

On Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 2:45 AM, nick_felmicamps <>wrot=
e:

> Thank you for those results Jeremiah they are very useful, I will add
> them to the list.
>
> It looks as if Sony are being a little more generous with their plug-in
> power than they used to be, however I am afraid the WL-183 load is not
> high enough to be sure, if someone did have a resistor (around 1000
> ohms) and a meter that would confirm things.
>

> Nick.
>
> --- In <naturerecordists%40yahoogroups.co=
m>,
> Jeremiah Moore <>
> wrote:
> >
> > Just getting some time to measure the PCM-M10. Here are my findings.
> >

> > I put the PCM-M10 (hereafter "M10") in record-pause for tests, to
> energize
> > the PIP circuit.
> >
> > I don't keep an resistors around, so was unable to do that test.
> However, I
> > did take measurements when loaded with a stereo pair of Shure WL-183s.
> >
> > To take measurements I used a minijack Y-adapter and male-to-male mini
> > provide accessible contacts. I applied the multimeter leads to
> tip/sleeve
> > and ring/sleeve. Tip/Ring variance was within 1/100th unit.
> >
> > Unloaded: 2.96v 0.62mA
> > Loaded: 2.50v 0.62mA (load is Shure WL-183 microphone pair)
> >

> > I wonder how this fares for Klas's mics?
> >
> > -jeremiah
> >

> > On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 2:08 PM, nick_felmicamps :
>

> > > Hi Jeremiah,
> > >
> > > Thank you for offering to take some PIP measurements, they will be
> of great
> > > interest to Klas, Rob and myself. The details are all below from a
> previous
> > > post:
> > >
> > > The measurements we need are taken between the sleeve of the 3.5 mm
> > > microphone socket and either the ring or the tip (but not both
> together).
> > > The measurements must of course be taken with Plug-in Power switched
> on and
> > > without a microphone connected, the recorder will need to be in a
> record
> > > mode and paused and it would be sensible to turn the record level
> completely
> > > down. We need these four results:
> > >
> > > 1. Maximum voltage available (meter switched to volts) and connected
> > > between sleeve and tip or ring (typically 2-4 volts)
> > > 2. Maximum current available (meter set to mA or uA) and connected
> between
> > > sleeve and tip or ring (typically 0.3-1.3 mA)
> > > 3. Voltage across a known resistor (ideally around 1000 ohm)
> connected
> > > between sleeve and tip or ring
> > > 4. Value of that resistor in ohms
> > >
> > > For those without a suitable resistor to hand measurements 3 and 4
> are
> > > not essential but will be useful, particularly in determining if the
> > > device uses a constant current supply.
> > >
> > > Please do not undertake if you have any concerns for your or your
> [...]

jeremiah moore | SOUND |
http://www.jeremiahmoore.com/

sound is worth a thousand pictures." R. Murray Schafer via Bernie Krause

<*> Your email settings:
    Digest Email  | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: