Tascam DR-08 disappointment

Subject: Tascam DR-08 disappointment
From: "oryoki2000" oryoki2000
Date: Thu Apr 8, 2010 8:44 pm ((PDT))
It's a good idea to work with a retailer with a generous return policy.  So=
metimes a recorder just doesn't meet your expectations.  That's the case wi=
th the new Tascam DR-08.

I was excited to try the DR-08 because Tascam has produced several good per=
forming, moderately priced recorders in recent years.  I also have a partic=
ular interest in machines that use a timer to start and stop recording. The=
 DR-08 offers this feature.

After testing the DR-08, I am very disappointed.  The mic preamp is so nois=
y it gives the impression you're recording in the bath with the shower runn=
ing.  The overall construction is so light weight it feels flimsy.  And the=
 battery, recording at 24/96, barely reached the 3 hour mark.

A recorder like the DR-08 would work well for dictating field notes.  The m=
achine is so light and compact you could carry it all day without noticing =
it's in your pocket.  But I doubt the DR-08 would survive if you accidental=
ly sat on it.

The DR-08 costs about $175 today.  There are personal dictation recorders a=
vailable from Olympus, Sanyo and Sony that do a good job of making audio no=
tes, and cost considerably less than $100.  The Tascam DR-07 ($140) is comp=
letely different from the DR-08, and would make a much better field compani=
on.

So the DR-08 goes back to the retailer in tomorrow's post.

--oryoki