Re: Mic output noise chart

Subject: Re: Mic output noise chart
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_audio
Date: Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:20 pm ((PDT))
Hi Paul--

Such a chart would be an excellent shortcut for recordists if it
listed confirmed/tested recorder/pres for each mic. Some of the mics
and projected minimum EIN ratings for pre transparency are right on.
Others are off. Here are a few examples:

Rode    NT-1A   25      5       -118.83 -128.8 dBu      YES, A-weighted
Rode    NT-2A   16      7       -120.70 -130.7 dBu??         Side by
side, the 2A is noisier than the 1A. In practice one could get by
with a slightly "noisier" pre, not a "quieter" one and one would not
need -130.7 dBu (A weighted).

MKH-40  25      12      -111.83 -121.8 ?? A few years back when we
were trying to get a input noise measurement for Hi-MD recorders, a
few folks independently noted that one could barely detect the input
noise of the pre at high gain using an MKH-40. Raimund (and others)
measured the Hi-MD recorders at -124dBu (A weighted).  For pre
transparency with that mic, I'd go with a pre measure EIN of -125dBu
or higher, not -122dBu.

We live by the Raimund's measurements and there are discrepancies
between his and the manufacturers'. I'm sure its the same for the mic
specs. A chart in a similar spirit might have a list of mics and for
each mic, the noisiest EIN/recorder that has been tested as
transparent. That would give us comparable reliability.

A relation I can remember that makes things simpler for me is,
"..."pro-quality" low- noise, mic pre performance effectively starts
around -127 dBu (A weighted) because its input noise is quiet enough
to hide behind the quietest of mics. "   http://tinyurl.com/yg2oopb
On the opposite end, if one is going to use mics with greater than
18dB(A) self-noise in high gain situations, there's not a lot of
quality to re-coop in pre choice. Rob D.
.