Mic output noise chart

Subject: Mic output noise chart
From: "Paul Jacobson" thebrunswicktwitcher
Date: Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:27 pm ((PDT))
Hi All,

The issue of mic output noise seems to come up fairly regularly in relation to
recorder preamp noise levels, so rather than manually looking up the
information of the Rane website every time I've created a spreadsheet to
calculate the mic output noise from self-noise and sensitivity specs.  The
spreadsheet shows the calculated mic output noise figure and a suggested
minimum preamp EIN based on Ranes 10dB "safety margin".  I've currently got a
limited selection of mics listed so if anyone has suggestions I'll add them to
the spreadsheet.

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=tzWtnN7a8lCBem84-DzS8vA&single=true&gid=0&output=html

or

http://bit.ly/Mic_Output_noise_chart

The chart is probably most useful when used in conjunction with the  Microphone
Input Noise Comparison tests at http://www.avisoft.com/recordertests.htm

cheers
Paul