Fostex FR-2LE + MXL 990s & 991s

Subject: Fostex FR-2LE + MXL 990s & 991s
From: "Wolodymyr Smishkewych" wjsmish=
Date: Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:22 pm ((PDT))

Greetings, everyone--

This is my first post to the group, and I am happy to have found you. I hav=
e just recently put together the following setup:

Fostex FR-2LE recorder with Oade SuperMOD preamp upgrade
pair MXL 991
pair MXL 990

Since I am doing more in the way of nature documentary work and nature podc=
ast, and coming from a different approach to documentary (read: guerilla) w=
here I was capturing most sound with a R=F8de shotgun, or an AT clip-on lav=
, I am hoping to up my sound quality a bit.

The AT mics have been fine when I've used them for audio recording and with=
 an M-Audio Microtrack but the 991s gave a strange, high-frequency noise on=
 one channel. I thought it was a faulty cable, then after replacing, though=
t it was a faulty mic, but now I think it might be something with the recor=
der or a combination of that equipment--they 991s work fine with the Fostex=
. However, the response when using the 991s is much lower than expected. Is=
 this normal, even with a preamp upgrade? I am a classical musician by prof=
ession, not an audio engineer, so I am not sure if perhaps this mic is not =
the best to use without additional preamp? Should I use the 990s for captur=
e of ambient sound in this case?

Another question is: would the 991s be better off used in a parabolic? I ha=
ve just purchased a thermoplastic parabola, similar to Telinga, and will be=
 making my own unit, so I can customize the mic holder to whatever element =
I wish to put in there. Any suggestions/thoughts?

Thanks so much!

Vlad

Wolodymyr Smishkewych