Re: TASCAM DR-680 Recorder 6 Mic Inputs

Subject: Re: TASCAM DR-680 Recorder 6 Mic Inputs
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_audio
Date: Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:29 am ((PDT))
At 8:21 PM +0000 3/22/10, oryoki2000 wrote:

>More about the DR-680 here
><http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/naturerecordists/message/39505>http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/naturerecordists/message/39505

Thanks Mike and Oryoki--

Sorry I didn't pick-up on your thread, Oryoki. Hopefully, we'll get
some tangible info about mic pre noise in a month or two.

I can think of many times I would have felt much more comfortable
with an extra pair of mics to address another possibility. Even 8
channels could become routine. ;-) Looks like one could use a Rolls
or Art Phantom II portable phantom power supply in order to use
condenser mics the channel 5/6 mic inputs. Even having a back-up
recorder on an extended jaunt would be assuring too.

I also see that the DR-680 can generate BWF format audio files-- not
sure how accessible or utilized the tags are etc,.. and in interleave
format which which can save file handing time. Assuming the mic pres
are on par with the HDP2's, the two drawbacks for me compared to a
SD744T that stand out so far are (1) At 16/48K X 6 channels, the max
32GB card will hold only 11 1/2 hours (2) No flac format option to
help offset this limitation.  Rob D.