Re: [Nature Recordists] Re: Humpback talk

Subject: Re: [Nature Recordists] Re: Humpback talk
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2010 17:45:20 -0700

      The problem with whales is that they're always hanging out in the mos=

inconvenient locations!  But I think that you're on to something.  The

cable vibration dampener / sinker is one of those products that I've had

in mind for many years, but it is a little hard to pencil out when

electrical-taping a banana weight from the local fishing tackle store

kind of does the same thing.  You'll need to experiment with what works

best with your rig in your location, but perhaps start with a four to

six-ounce weight taped to the cable about a foot above the hydrophone.

If that is not enough mass to keep it down, I'd try a second weight

somewhere near the middle of the cable.

Your hydrophone actually has a very high specific gravity, but its small

size limits it mass and cable drag wins out in any significant current.

Regards, Robb

On 3/15/2010 3:42 PM, Kawika wrote:

> Robb and other hydrophonists,

> I went out yesterday to record from kayak, got some good stuff, but

> more improvements in technique needed. Though we were drifting only

> about one-to-two knots, the phones were streaming behind almost flat,

> so I get a lot of surface noise of wind and wave, and also less stereo

> image. I'm considering attaching lead weights to the cables just above

> the phones, maybe hydrodynamic lead fishing weights, to keep them more

> vertical. Might this help?

> David

=20=20=20=09=09=20=09=20=20=20=09=09
We want to hear all your funny, exciting and crazy Hotmail stories. Tell us=
 now
http://clk.atdmt.com/UKM/go/195013117/direct/01/