Re: AT4022s in a baffled spaced array (was: FR-2LE & AT4022)

Subject: Re: AT4022s in a baffled spaced array (was: FR-2LE & AT4022)
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_audio
Date: Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:39 pm ((PDT))
At 2:36 PM -0700 3/14/10, Gregory O'Drobinak wrote:

>Rob & all:
>
>I'm trying to visualize how the "nose " of the SASS is actually
>constructed. Is it really just a big block of foam delineated by the
>metal edging, or is it a piece of foam of a certain thickness
>applied to each side of the plastic nose barrier and then framed by
>the metal edging? If the latter is true, how thick is the foam?

Hi Greg--
Great questions. I've only held one in my hands and was not allowed
to explore very much under the foam. Maybe someone can take a bunch
of close-ups?. :-)

>As for the back surfaces where the PZM elements are affixed, are
>they hard plastic or coated (like rubberized)?

PZM's? I just know of models with flush-mounted omnis.

>Also, does anyone have CAD drawings of the SASS housing?

I can send you the patent info if you can't find it on line.

>The final question revolves around the mounting point of the mic
>faces in the non-PZM SASS rigs: How far is the center of each mic
>from the intersection (the edge) of the back boundary and the nose
>boundary?

Close. I made this diagram for my reference. I stole Walt's pictures;
https://pantherfile.uwm.edu/type/public/images/CrownSASSDiagram_Adds.gif

The proximity is one reason I feel there's a possibility of some
double-boundary effect, but I think it could at best be only be part
of the mid range lift. There could also be advantageous timing
factors at these frequencies from what my ears say.

>This could be a critical design parameter of its spacial capturing
>since I believe that Crown's PZM elements are mounted very close the
>that edge.Does anyone have the original version of the SASS that had
>the B&K mics in place of the PZMs?

All of the "better" SASS formulations, according to Crown used flush
omnis. That would be cool to come across and look at a B&K version. I
understand they are quite, quite rare.

>Any more info about the SASS body would be most helpful as well. I
>must say that I am quite intrigued by the sound of that design.

You are in good company. Maybe with enough monkeys with
typewriters,... ;-)  And Crown is in your home state. Rob D.