AT4022s in a baffled spaced array (was: FR-2LE & AT4022)

Subject: AT4022s in a baffled spaced array (was: FR-2LE & AT4022)
From: "David Michael" wildlifeanalysis
Date: Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:45 am ((PST))
> Its my intention to use twin AT4022 mics with the Sony PCM M-10 and the A=
rt
> Phantom 11 power supply. I would like to build a spaced timber baffle, to
> mount the mics. Are you able to tell me on the rig that you used, the dis=
tance
> between the mics, and the setback from the leading edge?

In my particular setup I used a spaced wooden baffle after a design by
Curt Olson on the top of this page
http://www.trackseventeen.com/mic_rigs.html

Here is my version:
m("N08/4121368271/in/set-721576227228315","//www.flickr.com/photos/13902208");=">http:=
13/

The mics are spaced at about 6 inches and set back from the leading
edge about an inch, though that may have been too much. It is best to
experiment with how far the mics are set back as you will get
different effects in different recording situations. As you can see,
one of the nice things about this design is that with a few bungee
cords you can use trees as a mic stand.

This season though I am going to try a another design using a hinge
connecting two boards so that the space can be adjusted. Wood and
hinges are heavy, so this setup is not the most travel friendly unless
you dont mind weight in your pack.

> I realize that there are many variations out there, but being non tech I =
have
> to start some where.

Experimentation is your best friend. If you have a miter saw, then
these baffles are extremely simple to construct and the materials will
cost you little more than $10 at a DIY store.

> If anyone else in this group has built similar, please
> feel free to respond. One last question. What is the audio difference bet=
ween
> the above and using the AT4022's in a modified Crown SASS unit?

There is a book by Bruce Bartlett called Recording Music on Location
that profiles some of the spaced array techniques and the angles at
which the mics can be placed for certain effects. Its inexpensive and
well worth a read.

Regards
David