Re: Audio Monitors for Editing

Subject: Re: Audio Monitors for Editing
From: "Russell Dawkins" airbornerecording
Date: Fri Feb 5, 2010 2:24 am ((PST))
Re: Audio Monitors for Editing
Posted by: "Rudy Trubitt"    rudytrubitt
Thu Feb 4, 2010 11:55 am (PST)

 >I have used a number of active monitors over the years. I don't think
 >there's any reason to avoid them as a product category. One important
 >benefit is that the amplifier can be matched to the loudspeaker
 >drivers. They are often biamplified which increases efficiency. The
 >ability of the amp to control the motion of the woofer (damping
 >factor) is usually better.

I second this. Some of the best and most respected monitors in the
world are "active".
The benefits mentioned, along with the advantages of performing the
crossover functions
either at line level or in the digital domain far outweigh the slight
disadvantage of operating
components in very loud environments, apparently.
Besides, the crossovers of almost all passive speakers also operate
in this same environment.

My internally tri-amplified Klein und Hummel 0300s are notable for
their clarity.

Russell