Re: Painting a parabolic reflector

Subject: Re: Painting a parabolic reflector
From: "Syd Curtis"
Date: Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:13 pm ((PST))
Should be quite OK painted.

I used a Grampian aluminium parabolic reflector for several decades starting
on 21 June, 1968, and was completely satisfied with the results.  It was
painted as supplied.    Used it much less when I acquired a Sennheiser
"shot-gun" mic, but still used the Grampian when I needed max. amplification
of the sound.  Finally stopped using it because of the great convenience of
Klas's wonderful Telinga 'roll-up' parabola.

(BTW, I know the precise date when I first used the Grampian because it was
my first wildlife sound recording - of an Albert's Lyrebird whose territory,
I knew.)

Of passing interest:  I think it was also somewhere in the 1960s when I
first met the then head of the Zoology Department of the University of
Queensland (Brisbane, Australia), Professor Jiro Kikkawa, who then had a
unique home-made collapsible "parabolic" reflector:  simply took an ordinary
umbrella and reversed the handle so the 'dish' faced forwards.  It was
obviously effective, and he said the secret was in the special paint he used
to make the fabric reflect the sound properly.

Cheers

Syd