Re: extension cables

Subject: Re: extension cables
From: "John Lundsten" lundsten_john
Date: Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:15 pm ((PST))
Robb Nichols wrote

| I'm not sure you're comparing apples to apples here. Your test included
| mics with a low-impedance balanced source, where as the original
| question came up regarding PIP mics.

a Very valid point from tests i have done mic source impedance is all
important. And far far more important than whether an unbalanced or balance
connection method is used.

I did some kind of quick and dirty tests ....... a 1000' spool
| of a low-capacitance coaxial extension cable in a PIP powered
| application, I saw almost a 20dB loss above 1KHz and a 10dB resonant
| peak at about 225Hz.

Yes i can believe that. The lowest source Z , PIP mic I have come across is
the DPA 4060 {about 300Ohms} more typically an electret mic with it's FET
will be 1.5 -4k Ohms. Which means IMO, more than 10ft of cable the HF
response will for sure audibly suffer.

Then, using the same mic, I set up our UPA-1 as a
| phantom-powered line driver at the source and measured losses with a
| 1500' balanced cable (I didn't have a 1000' spool on hand to make a
| similar comparison)
Sorry I have no knowledge of what a "UPA-12" is.

and found a pretty smooth response curve that began
| to roll off at about 1K and extended to about -20dB @20KHz. The
| low-impedance source and balanced line didn't maintain a particularly
| compelling response with such a long cable, but it was substantially
| better and quite useable in our application.

As i say I don't know what your UPA-1 is (or the out Z of the mic you used)
but that seems a pretty dam poor performance to me.

But a while back when i was designing an "active" mic splitter I did a
number of tests.
I used 100m (say 330ft) of cable & found  when i got a source Z < 5ohms the
frequency response and crosstalk loss was almost un-measurable. The great
discovery considering multichan audio was my aim is that if you just add a
transformer that
a) drops a (notionally 0dBu) "line level" output from a mic amp near the mic
by 30dB the source Z becomes an ultra low Z out of less than an Ohm.
b) a whole load of such signals can travel down 300ft+ of cheap, thin, non
balanced wires with almost unmesurable loss of frequency response & X talk
better than -120dB.

But, trying to get back to the orig question. as soon as the source Z rises
the performance is going to suffer -- Badly.
IMO don't bother with lo capacitance cable, the advantage will be minimal
compared to the cost involved.
If you have PIP mics & want to use long cables, put a mic amp near the mic,
then use any cheap cable.
JL