Re: M/S: MKH 50/20 with MKH30 combo > How to line up diaphragms ?

Subject: Re: M/S: MKH 50/20 with MKH30 combo > How to line up diaphragms ?
From: "Max" oatcruncher
Date: Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:35 am ((PST))
Hi Arnoud,
Firstly I must make it clear that I'm not an expert, and have in fact done =
no M/S recording so far. However, I attended a WSRS workshop last year and =
something came up which stuck in my mind. A brief discussion came up on the=
 alignment of capsule for M/S, and one of the members was surprised to find=
 he'd been doing it wrong! He had been using some MKH configuration 30/? an=
d had been lining up the mics with their mesh ends one over the other. This=
 it transpired was completely wrong. The capsule in the 30 I seem to recall=
 is close to the end mesh, but the other shotgun type mic had it's capsule =
I think somewhere near the point of the first tube cut-out i.e. several inc=
hes back from the mesh. Presumably this is what Steve was referring to by '=
co-incident' below. My above speil may be old hat to most of the members of=
 this forum, but I personally hadn't come across this clarification in any =
of my other reading.
Max

--- In  "Steve Pelikan" <> wrot=
e:

> Congrats on the nice mics!
>
> For M/S the theory says that they're  co-incident, so as close as possibl=
e is best.

> In practice an inch or  few cms either way and I doubt anyone could hear =
the difference  though careful signal processing might notice.

> Mostly it is a matter of how you find some way to shock protect and mount=
 them, perhaps with wind protection --- all those effect also seem to reall=
y beat an inch displacement.