Re: new AT4050ST mid-side mic

Subject: Re: new AT4050ST mid-side mic
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_audio
Date: Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:52 am ((PST))
Hi John--
You're right. Could it be a mistake on the sheet?
There should be more mix from the side mic in the
widest setting and the self-noise rating of the
Figure 8, side mic is 2dB(A) _higher_ than the
mid. 25 dB SPL to 16 dB SPL seems like too big of
a noise performance difference between the width
settings too. If the numbers are right, would be
interesting to know how this is happening.
Sensitivity of the two mics is close.

The 4050ST seems reasonably compact. I can't tell
what size the capsules are. Its definitely not as
quiet as some of us have grown accustom to, but
as a recent AT product, there's always a slight
chance its rated higher than its actual
self-noise performance.

Ian Rawes posted some AT BP4025 recordings on the
Phonography list that sounded quieter than its
spec'd 14 dB(A) self-noise rating to me. Its a
stereo X-Y one-point mic with large diaphragm
capsules and I think it could be cheaper than the
Message: 4050ST.
Subject: Rob D.

  =3D =3D =3D

At 7:21 AM +0000 1/15/10, hartogj wrote:

>Thanks for pointing out a new mic, Oryoki.
>
>I notice in the specs:
>"Stereo, 90=BA: 25 dB SPL; Stereo, 127=BA: 16 dB SPL;
>Mid: 15 dB SPL; Side: 17 dB SPL"
>
>Just wondering, why would the wide stereo have lower noise than narrow ste=
reo?

>John Hartog
>
>--- In
><naturerecordists%40yahoogroups.com>=
m,
>"oryoki2000" <> wrote:
>>
>>  Audio Technica just announced a new mid-side
>>mic, the AT4050ST. It's a stereo condenser mic
>>with independent cardioid and figure-8 capsules
>>under a common shell. The mic has a switch so
>>you can set the output signal to left and right
>>stereo, or separate mid and side signals.
>>
>>  Output at the mic is a 5 pin XLR cable, which
>>splits into two 3 pin XLRs for connection to
>>your mixer or recorder.
>>
>>  USA MSRP is $1,625.00, which I'd guess will
>>translate to a street price around $800.
>>
>>  --oryoki

sound is worth a thousand pictures." R. Murray Schafer via Bernie Krause

<*> Your email settings:
    Digest Email  | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: