Plug-In Power Measurements

Subject: Plug-In Power Measurements
From: "nick_felmicamps" nick_felmicamps
Date: Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:58 am ((PST))
Unlike phantom power, Plug-in Power on portable recorders has never had
a published specification.  Equipment manufacturers have constantly used
different voltages and made different currents available.

We are considering producing a low noise, high sensitivity electret
microphone. We hope to manufacture it in such a way that it will work
from either balanced 12-48 volt phantom or unbalanced from plug-in
power, and want to be sure it will work with all such recorders.

I would like to produce a list of the power provided at the Plug-in
Power sockets of a broad range of recorders.
This could be published in the Files section and could be of interest to
all, and in particular Klas and myself and other manufacturers.

So I am after anybody who has a few minutes to spare, a portable
recorder (Solid State, MD, DAT, Cassette) and a battery powered digital
multi meter.

The measurements we need are taken between the sleeve of the 3.5 mm
microphone socket and either the ring or the tip (but not both
together). The measurements must of course be taken with Plug-in Power
switched on and without a microphone connected, the recorder will need
to be in a record mode and paused and it would be sensible to turn the
record level completely down.  We need these four results: