Re: Physics of moisture-induced mic noise (was MS-stereo and figure-

Subject: Re: Physics of moisture-induced mic noise (was MS-stereo and figure-
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_audio
Date: Mon Jan 4, 2010 8:29 am ((PST))
At 10:06 PM -0800 1/3/10, Gregory O'Drobinak wrote:

>There are way too many variables to pin down here without lots of
>time and a full lab to work in.

Hi Greg--
Since the moisture problems go away or greatly lessen when the mics
are powered-up and outside, this is a significant _constant_ and one
we can apply and base improvements on. Planning to set-up and power
the mics well in advance is doable if the recording opportunity is
important.

>With regards to some previous emails on this subject:: replacing a
>mic capsule with a capacitor may be very difficult to do quickly
>unless you have a de-mountable capsule such as the Oktavas. Even
>then, how do you get a good stable contact to the center pin and
>ground without making a special machined head to take the place of
>the capsule. And be sure to have all of this stuff ready exactly
>when the "noise event" starts, then keep the environmental variables
>that provoked the event stable. Maybe the noise is caused by a bad
>("cold") solder joint somewhere within the preamp that acts up under
>certain conditions. How do you test this? That effect can be very
>sporadic. BTW, I once had some noise events caused by a bad battery
>contact in the phantom power supply.
>
>My advice is for those of us who have had these problems is to put
>together a database of the model of mics, noise events, conditions,
>time, age of mic, etc., to see if there is any type of correlation
>that can be gleaned form this data. Perhaps a pattern will never be
>found. But at least we can perhaps get some idea of what mics have
>what problem under what conditions.

You and Dan are right that it will help a lot to become more
methodical in our efforts to track the variables. A few years ago, it
was thought that the only work-around was to buy RF mics. Now we know
that the problems and solutions do have patterns and that much less
expensive and equally reliable options exist.

I recently created a folder on my computer where I place mic noise
recordings and include the mic serial number, time and weather info.
I wish I had started this obvious practice two years ago! Right, its
best not to keep the records in our heads or clog-up the list with
reports of single events.

As for associated weather conditions, in the US, NWS has charts and
spread sheets which one can download and save with the sound
recording to get the conditions hours before the event.
http://tinyurl.com/yasvrru  Choose the nearest citizen or gov weather
station to you.  (This link seems to have a quick redirect today. I
hope they are not in the process of restricting access. Might be a
good idea to get some local links in your browser bookmarks)

>Mics that perform well and that don't make it to the "event list"
>would probably be good candidates for field work.

I think the list is a lot longer than we thought in prior years if
precautions are taken. :-) It might also help the cause to think less
about "bad" and "good" mic models because we suspect that this is an
incomplete and misleading way to look for better solutions. Rob D.