Re: Odp: [Nature Recordists] Keeping recording system warm in cold t

Subject: Re: Odp: [Nature Recordists] Keeping recording system warm in cold t
From: "Emanuele Costantini" lamacchiacosta
Date: Sun Jan 3, 2010 3:11 pm ((PST))
>>   Seeking advice:
>>
>>  I am recording dusk to dawn in unattended twelve hour long nightly
>>  sessions, outdoors in a battery operated situation with temperatures
>>  down to 10 degrees F.  I keep my Edirol R-09HR recorder and Tekkeon
>>  external battery pack in a tupperware box. I would like to have
>>  something to keep my box and equipment temperatures warmer.
>>
>>  Can anyone recommend a method or product?  ( Also, my recording site is
>>  not near an electric line or outlet.)
>>
>>  Thanks in advance for your reply.
>>
>>  Thomas Ashcraft
>>  New Mexico

HI,

you can maybe put the Tupperware inside a portable fridge bag, so you
can save your equipment from humidity through the Tupperware and
isolated from temperatures through the fridge.
  There are soft and light models that can accomplish your purpose.
I'm not sure if using heaters could increase the level of water
condensed on the surface of the Tupperware and start ruining your
equipment with humidity.
I'm right now working on a project where I have to spend the whole day
in the freezing cold. After some issue on the first day I realized that
is better leaving the equipment out in the cold in the morning as soon
as I arrive on location to leave all the electronics dry up from moist
before using and then put everything back inside at the very end of the day=
.
For my recorder I'm using a bag like the Portabrace ones.  that are
giving it a good isolation.
Today I'm working between 1=B0 and -3=B0 Celsius. No issues so far.

--
Emanuele Costantini

Sound, Media Engineer
Filmmaker

www.ecciproduzioni.com
www.imdb.com/name/nm1987084/

sound is worth a thousand pictures." R. Murray Schafer via Bernie Krause

<*> Your email settings:
    Digest Email  | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: