[Nature Recordists] Re: Phantom Power. Question from The Ghost Who= Walk

Subject: [Nature Recordists] Re: Phantom Power. Question from The Ghost Who= Walks :-)
From: greg.winterflood <>
Thanks Vicki

I was hinting at using what seems to me to be a "renewable energy source".=

> My Fluke multimeter tells me I have 47.5V DC coming from the telephone wa=
ll socket. Apart from inverting that and sending it back to the grid at a p=
rofit, any ideas?

I'm also interested to find out if the performance of the mike is greatly i=
mproved by having Phantom Power, or if the gain is not worth the bother. I =
have sufficient wire to take me all over my yard and if I can obtain 47.5VD=
C from the telephone socket I would only need to trail a telephone extensio=
n line to where my LS-10 and AT815b were set up.

One of the things I don't understand is how the range of voltage for Phanto=
m Power can vary between 9-52V DC and whether the voltage difference makes =
an "audio" difference.

At the moment Merops ornatus is here in numbers. In the hours before dark t=
hey trill and swoop for a drink from my swimming pool, right in my field of=
 vision above my computer screen. There is a black faced cuckoo shrike whic=
h appears in the morning and takes a look at me as I type, and a family of =
Happy Families has just passed through raucously. And, of course, there are=
 many others.

Thanks for your suggestion. I don't think I need to complicate things too m=
uch. My aim is probably limited to sending a Christmas CD of the Sounds of =
Alice to family members. But if I get some really good "footage", I'll send=
 it to the group.

Cheers

Greg