Re: MS-stereo and figure-8 mics

Subject: Re: MS-stereo and figure-8 mics
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_audio
Date: Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:03 pm ((PST))

>Greetings everyone,
>
>I live in southern Tasmania and I've just joined the group and look
>forward to tapping into the wealth of knowledge here. I have
>experience in synthesizers and electronic music and would like to
>incorporate local wildlife sounds into my own music (mainly
>experimental/minimalist).
>
>I'll be recording to a Fostex FR2 in the field and would like to use
>MS because of it's flexibility in the final mix. I've got an AT4022
>omni for the mid but don't have a figure-8 for the side. But I do
>have a matched pair of NT5s and was wondering if by connecting them
>in parallel and pointing them at 180 degrees to each other I could
>achieve ((more or less) the same results. Or am I missing something
>here?
>
>Keith

Hi Keith--
Welcome to the list.
Sometimes everyone does overlook the most elegant solutions. I think
there may be a few challenges in your design but that doesn't mean it
can't be done. With a 2 channel recorder, you need to get the
capsules really close together, sum the signals from the mics with
one signal inverted and figure out how to power both mics from
phantom. Hopefully one of the several excellent mic engineers who
read the list will elaborate.

You can get the flexibility of M-S in post with any stereo array by
using a pair of M-S "Matrix" plugs in your post chain, one to convert
the L/R stereo to M-S (insert effects plugs here) then another to
convert the M-S signal back to L/R stereo. Tom Erbe's free, +Matrix
plugs seem to work with very good transparency.

As for M-S and other mic options, it would be helpful to know whether
you are going to be wanting recordings of ambience in quiet locations
or mostly concentrating on louder sounds like robust animal calls and
effects?  Rob D.