Re: Digital Recorders: a Marantz 661?

Subject: Re: Digital Recorders: a Marantz 661?
From: "Mike Rooke" picnet2
Date: Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:41 am ((PST))
What really surprises me is the small recorders not offering clock sync in/=
out - would make an ideal setup to buy another one of the same recorder and=
 have two rolling for surround or other configurations. Otherwise it become=
s a collection of two channel recorders that are not in sync, unless i miss=
ed a gadget on this topic?

-Mike

--- In  "Steve Pelikan" <> wrot=
e:

> I can't comment on specific recorder's features but have suggestions for =
features that I got when I switched form and MD recorder to a flash ram rec=
order and have come to think of as essential.

> 1) Sturdy XLR connections are much better than miniplugs on equipment you=
're dragging through shrubbery in attempts to get close to singing birds. T=
hey're much less likely to get pulled out, bent, or dirty on a day in the f=
ield.

> 2) A recorder with a pre-record buffer is a huge asset. Being able to get=
 the previous 10 seconds (maybe 8 with reaction time) before an interesting=
 vocalization has saved lots of work for me and other bird recordists I've =
talked with.

> 3) And of course things like "big" knobs or at least buttons that let you=
  start recording with gloves or mittens on are very nice if you live north=
 of the tropics.

> Steve P
>
> --- In  "oryoki2000" <oryoki@> wrote:
> >
> > The Marantz 661 (about $575) and the Fostex FR-2LE (about $475) are bot=
h very good "lunchbox" size recorders.  The FR-2LE has mic preamps that are=
 a little quieter.  However, the ME67 is a relatively noisy mic, so I think=
 you will have a hard time telling the difference between recordings made w=
ith the PMD661 and FR-2LE.

> > Both the PMD661 and FR-2LE have XLR inputs that provide phantom power. =
 This will allow you to run your ME67 without using its AA battery.  The re=
sult will be quieter recordings. I own an ME62, and the result when running=
 on phantom power is noticeably better.

> > If you're satisfied with the sound quality you record now with your ME6=
7 and minidisc setup, then you might consider replacing the minidisc with a=
 new pocket-size Sony PCM-M10 flash recorder (about $300).  The xlr to mini=
plug cable you use to attach the ME67/K6 to the minidisc machine will work =
with the M10.  And the M10 has good built-in mics, much better than the 661=
 or FR-2LE. Recording in stereo with the M10 will provide a more natural am=
biance than the narrowly focused shotgun mic.