Re: Digital Recorders: a Marantz 661?

Subject: Re: Digital Recorders: a Marantz 661?
From: "oryoki2000" oryoki2000
Date: Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:16 pm ((PST))
The Marantz 661 (about $575) and the Fostex FR-2LE (about $475) are both very
good "lunchbox" size recorders.  The FR-2LE has mic preamps that are a little
quieter.  However, the ME67 is a relatively noisy mic, so I think you will have
a hard time telling the difference between recordings made with the PMD661 and
FR-2LE.

Both the PMD661 and FR-2LE have XLR inputs that provide phantom power.  This
will allow you to run your ME67 without using its AA battery.  The result will
be quieter recordings. I own an ME62, and the result when running on phantom
power is noticeably better.

If you're satisfied with the sound quality you record now with your ME67 and
minidisc setup, then you might consider replacing the minidisc with a new
pocket-size Sony PCM-M10 flash recorder (about $300).  The xlr to miniplug
cable you use to attach the ME67/K6 to the minidisc machine will work with the
M10.  And the M10 has good built-in mics, much better than the 661 or FR-2LE.
Recording in stereo with the M10 will provide a more natural ambiance than the
narrowly focused shotgun mic.

> Secondary use will be recording audio for video
> captured with a DSLR (a Canon 7D) ... I will probably
> choose something moderately priced such as the
> Rode VideoMic for now.

The VideoMic is an impressive inexpensive mic that is a favorite of home
videographers.

--oryoki