Re: XLR

Subject: Re: XLR
From: "Scott Fraser" scottbfraser
Date: Wed Dec 2, 2009 7:39 am ((PST))
<<Hi All,
OK, firstly, re your suggestion Scott, the plug was actually jamming
before it reached the gasket. Secondly, I've miked up my plugs, and
the holographed Neutriks are only one hundredth of a millimeter larger
than their drawing, and the black Neutrics and other probably 'copies'
both mike up to nine hundredths of a millimeter LESS than the drawing.
The conclusion is obvious; the socket of the CAD 179 is small?! This
is of course if the Neutrik drawing is of an agreed standard size for
XLR's, which I understand it is.
I do of course concede that my original guestimate was way off!

Seems like an out of spec portion of the CAD mic then. I believe those
are made in China, where high quality manufacturing processes are not
always as rigorously attended to as in Europe & North America. I have
a number of Neumann mics which include a small springy rubber gasket
around the bottom of the female XLR connector to insure a tight non-
wiggly fit, but which prevents some plugs from entering deep enough to
lock. The gasket is only held by friction, is easily removed & to my
mind serves no critical function. I have also seen a number of
slightly out of round XLRs, though these are generally very heavily
used items on touring sound systems & have been run over on stage by
various equipment cases. I think your CAD is simply out of spec.

Scott Fraser