hello & looking for advice for m/s recording "m" mic

Subject: hello & looking for advice for m/s recording "m" mic
From: "blueblancrouge24" blueblancrouge24
Date: Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:34 pm ((PST))
hello everyone,

because i just joined here's a little blurb on me.
the name's peter, i cut sound for film and tv here in montreal. been doing =
so for over 10 years. i've worked in radio, done live theatre sound, live s=
ound reinforcement, a bit of studio music recording and mixing as a hobby, =
and studied electroacoustic music a while back in school. i guess sound is =
a huge part of my life. unfortunately i've got a little tinnitus to deal wi=
th care of that damn invention, the walkman back in the 80's.

i've had access to recoding rigs throughout my work and this is the first t=
ime i'm putting one together for myself. already own a 744, found through a=
 great deal this summer, and now i've narrowed the mic choice. i'm going wi=
th sennheiser because of the low self noise they offer. this is mainly due =
to wanting a mic setup for ambience recording. one of my favorite things is=
 editing ambience tracks and building interesting backgrounds for the proje=
cts i'm on. i really appreciate the different tones, detail, dynamics, and =
depth they have to offer.

what i will like your advice for, is there anyone who is using an 8040 pigg=
ybacked on an mkh 30 in stead of the usual 30/40 setup? i like the idea of =
a rig that is lighter than a 30/40 combination. does anyone know how these =
2 setups differ in the color of the sound, the stereo image, how they blend=
 together, and how happy are you with this kind of setup.

i noticed that months ago someone asked a similar question and nobody bit, =
so i hope i can get someone this time around to share some impressions.

i'm planning to use the rycote 3 windjammer setup and mount the 8040 on top=
 of the 30 with some foam in between.

thanks for letting me have your ear and looking forward to the group and yo=
ur posts.

if there are any topics that i can search in the group messages in regard t=
o my question, please let me know.

thanks again. cheers,

P.