XLR Plug/Socket sizes

Subject: XLR Plug/Socket sizes
From: "Max" oatcruncher
Date: Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:59 am ((PST))
Hi Folks!
I had CAD179 delivered today with the intention of doing some M/S experimen=
tation. When I came to connect up to test it, I made an odd discovery. A 's=
tandard' white metal Neutrik connector would NOT push home into the mic. I =
initially thought that maybe there was a bent pin or something, but no. I t=
hen pulled another set of leads from the store this time with black Neutrik=
 connectors which fitted; snugly, but no problem. Not having immediate acce=
ss to my micrometer, I did a visual comparison of diameters, and it was cle=
ar that the 'standard' plug was larger, maybe somewhere in the order of 0.5=
-1.0mm. This struck me as being odd and was quite a surprise. I imagine the=
re must be a standard size and tolerance for these plugs. My first question=
 is, does anybody know where I could find these measurements? And secondly,=
 has anybody else ever had similar problems, either with Neutrik or other c=
onnectors?
Max