Re: ECM preamps

Subject: Re: ECM preamps
From: "Mike Rooke" picnet2
Date: Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:00 am ((PST))
Hi,
     Build a small battery box, or search for microphone battery box using
google there are a few circuits showing how it works (see below).

>From the battery box the unbalanced output plugs into the FR2LE using XLR /
>Male plugs. NOT 1/4" TRS PLUGS -

If the line-input is used the output level will be far too low to be of use.

3V is a good figure for the latest ECM's, or 9V as detailed in the circuit
below:-

Here is a good example for a battery box:-
http://www.megalithia.com/elect/battbox.html

The battery box has ground, then left and right signal outputs.

Wire up 2 x XLR Male plugs.

Pin 1: Ground
Pin 2: Signal (here you take the left or right from the battery box)

Since I used a 3.5mm female socket, I wired a 3.5mm Plug to 2 x XLR Male Plugs
and
 connected both pin 1 on the XLR to the ground, and left / right to pin 2 (HOT)
- leave COLD unconnected.

This I know works with my FR2-LE with a 3V and 9V battery box.

It also keeps the preamp enabled in the FR2-LE, using a 1/4" plug will cause
the FR2-LE to be in line-input mode which isnt what you want..

Hope this helps.
Kind Regards,
Mike.