1. Re: SONY PCM-M10 field recording

Subject: 1. Re: SONY PCM-M10 field recording
From: "Raimund" animalsounds
Date: Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:14 am ((PST))
Rob Danielson wrote:

> When omni mics are faced away from each other as they are in Sony's
> M10 array, the high frequency response would typically taper-off to
> the sides (front) and create a drop in the high frequencies in the
> middle of the stereo field. However, according to Sony's response
> charts for the M10 mics, there's a peak at ~3.5K Hz at 90 degrees
> off-axis that seems to off-set this darker hole in the middle. Adding
> a baffle sort of re-introduces the inherent HF "hole" challenge of
> the opposing array design.

Hi Rob,

Thanks for your comments.

Yes, I also noticed this unfortunate "hole" in the middle.

> The EQ changes I opted for appear to support non-baffle use as well.
> In the first recording, the treble in the middle of the field seemed
> sufficient, but in the baffled recording, the birds didn't have
> enough presence without some HF boost in the middle. Note that I
> actually applied treble cut to only the sides in the first recording
> which reduced treble "hot spots" at the speakers allowing more
> horizontal spread across the center. I couldn't get that effect with
> the 2nd recording.
>
> I personally like that the mics produce a strong bottom end to work
> with. The LF response is a little uneven, but, with careful EQ, it
> should be easier for recordists to portray depth.
>
> Before and after takes with a baffle might provide more insights but
> the way the factors are lining-up, adding a baffle should not provide
> much, if any improvement.

Yep, a before and after take at exactly the same location should provide more
insights. Actually, the two takes (last week and yesterday) were made at
slightly different places and the orientation of the recorder was also
different. And of course, the specific situation was quite different. If I
remember correctly, the birds were a bit closer last week. I believe that the
baffle recording that I made yesterday is still a relatively close
representation of the sound that I heard at that place. Though, I agree that it
sounds less interesting than the other one.

Regards,
Raimund